Case Study: Business Analytics for Financial Services
In financial services, business requirements are complex and accuracy of information is paramount.
Deploying and optimizing a business analytics solution often involves significant systems integration challenges-so it’s important to engage a services provider with deep expertise. Here’s how IBM Premier Business Partner Mainline helped three very different financial services organizations turn their information into intelligence.
Global insurance and financial services company
- 3-fold more frequent reporting (monthly vs. quarterly)
- 75% reduction in time required to produce reports
- 90% fewer people involved in report production, enhancing productivity
- Improved accuracy of reports by reducing potential for human error
- Able to understand data better and faster, enhancing decision-making
Midsize investment management firm
- 50% improvement in operational efficiency for generating client statements
- Created a highly customizable, user-friendly reporting environment
- Reduced demands on IT, enabling developers to focus on other projects
- Improved data accuracy
- Richer data helps customers understand how investments are performing
Diversified financial services company
- Seamlessly integrated multiple systems into a single user interface
- Provided the groundwork for better customer service
- Enhanced security
- Saved users valuable time with single sign-on
- Improved ability to recruit top-notch financial advisors
Having made a strong investment in Microsoft technologies, including SharePoint and SQL Server, a financial services company wanted to continue to use these tools for document management and workflow while implementing a powerful business analytics platform. The legacy portal that the customer was using was old and had no integration with SharePoint. Financial advisors had to locate reports in this separate system, which was often slow, and frequently they had to contact IT to resolve issues and get necessary reports. The customer needed more efficiency and interactivity in the reporting process.
Mainline conducted a highly customized implementation that integrated IBM Business Analytics with SharePoint and Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services. The customer’s user interface requirements were to retain the Microsoft look and feel while creating an enterprise portal powered by IBM Business Analytics “behind the scenes.” Mainline’s expertise with the IBM Business Analytics Software Development Kit allowed it to achieve this level of integration between the IBM and Microsoft technology stacks, as well as a SiteMinder security appliance. Mainline drove the architecture and solutions while remaining agile, as business requirements were continually being revised.
Financial advisors now have direct access to all of their reports in a unified environment. Because it’s no longer necessary to go to different systems to pull reports, the advisors can present accurate reports to their clients instantly and in-person, improving client satisfaction. The reporting environment is more stable as well, and financial advisors now have a high level of trust in the data. Due to integration with the SiteMinder security appliance, user credentials are passed seamlessly down to the data source, eliminating the need for users to log in multiple times. The new portal is being used as a recruiting tool for financial advisors, and Mainline continues to provide support for change management requests as the customer’s business changes and grows.