Mainframe Software Specialist
An updated view of the IBM® Db2® Analytics Accelerator for z/OS®
I am sure many are familiar with the IBM® Db2® Analytics Accelerator for z/OS® as we have known it to advance, over the years, out of the Netezza product family. With the newest release, there have been new enhancements and capabilities, specifically, additional deployment options that were not available in the past.
The newest release of the IBM® Db2® Analytics Accelerator for z/OS® is at version 7.1 and was announced for general availability in November 2017. This version delivers two new deployment options on either the recently announced IBM Integrated Analytics System or directly on the new IBM® Z14 mainframe. Both of these deployment options are based on the IBM analytical engine, Db2 Warehouse software. This guarantees a uniform experience, which allows you to invest once to enable your applications and workloads for the Accelerator, and then to transition easily between deployment options. You will also hear much emphasis around this uniform experience as the “Common SQL Engine.”
The new deployment capability that I would like to highlight today is entirely on the IBM® z14 mainframe, within Integrated Facility for Linux® (IFL) processors, and without the need to attach a separate appliance. This deployment option allows for a much deeper integration with the IBM® Z infrastructure. Many of the existing organizational support and operational processes do not need to be changed. For example, the new Db2® Analytics Accelerator for z/OS® requires very little changes, if any, to an existing disaster recovery plan or procedure; as it is an integral part of the IBM® Z infrastructure.
IBM® Db2 Analytics Accelerator on IBM® Z
- A software appliance running on IBM® z14
- Packages the SW stack into an IBM Secure Service Container to deliver a fully self-managed appliance running in a SSC LPAR that can be deployed in minutes
- Integrates seamlessly into the customer’s IBM® Z environment and leverages known LPAR, memory and CPU management procedures, including call home support for enterprise hardware components
- Uses customer-provided storage to hold the Accelerator-side data
- Scales smoothly with the assignment of available processor cores, initially addressing sizes comparable up to 1/2 rack Pure Data Analytics (N3001-005) appliances
Version 7.1 New Architecture and Hardware considerations
With the deployment option of the IBM® Db2 Analytics Accelerator on IBM® Z, customers are provided with the ability to truly keep the analytics closest to the data, and within the strengths of the IBM® Z infrastructure. There is no ‘sum of all,’ and therefore, size determination and configuration are based on individual workload requirements.
It is recommended that you reach out to your Mainline Account Executive directly, or click here to contact us with any questions.
Please contact your Mainline Account Executive directly, or click here to contact us with any questions.